Thursday 19 September 2019

Lisa On Growing Up and Writing About It





When I was a little girl I wanted to be a writer. My favorite books were the Anne Of Green Gables series. I was adopted as a young child and I imagined that somewhere I was important to someone too. I was not particularly close to my adoptive family growing up and neither was I close to my biological family after meeting them again as a teenager.

I moved around a lot during most of my life after I left home at sixteen, well, thirteen if you include going to live with relatives. They say that if you have a problem with everyone then it is not everyone who has a problem but the problem is within yourself. I was depressed right up until a couple of years ago when I began my recovery process.

A few weeks ago I was watching some sad romantic movies and I was starting to feel low. I thought, what am I doing? I am doing this to myself. I am causing myself to feel sad by watching these movies! About a month earlier I had been listening to my music playlists and I noticed that many of the songs were about lost love or some other sad thing. I realized that I have been feeding myself all this. Yes, I had a rough life, majorly caused by my own grief. The rest happened but why did it have to have such a long-lasting impact? I decided to make a change. I created a new playlist, Lisa's New Fun Happy List on YouTube, and even knowing that is what the name of it is makes me feel better.

I do not know for how long I kept seeing a picture of this one guy that used to torment me when I was a teenager on Social Media. One day, I noticed how much this bugged me, seeing his picture so I blocked him. Instantly, I wondered why I had done this and unblocked him. I looked at some of his pictures. He looked physically healthy and happy. I see that he is a Dad. I considered what kind of a guy he was and how the saying goes about a tiger not changing their stripes. I wondered if I could forgive him and I discovered that I could and I did. I had been holding this for so long that it was a natural part of who I am. This bullying had happened so long ago. I had finally let it go.

Now that I am a woman, I want to write and I do. I wrote my favorite books. I am important to someone.


Lisa L'Heureux in Calgary, AB
___________________________________________________________________________

While you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog SeriesThis and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives with her family in Alberta, Canada.

More than six years ago, Lisa retired from practicing alcoholism.

. . . . .


**Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books Gift Pack
        
        


No comments:

Post a Comment

Age-ist

I ask my friend if she thinks we're old. I'm six months older than she is. She didn't answer the question. But if a guy I like f...