Monday 24 April 2017

About My Twitter Bio

My Twitter Bio says "I used to think that it would be horrible to be a drunk until I woke up old one day so I quit drinking to watch myself grow old." At the end of my drinking career, I had all but lost hope for my sobriety, I was trying to quit unsuccessfully at the time. I had plans that I thought I was ready to execute. Those previous plans were thwarted by my inability to quit drinking on my own and salvage what I could of my then life.

Moving past all those broken dreams; I was getting very sick and aging in body, I thought, rather quickly. I was alarmed because I didn't get to live yet. I had what I considered a very bleak outlook for life from the beginning and dotted all throughout. There was no opportunity for me. My drinking and/or someone else's drinking had destroyed my life. I was daily drinking at the end and it became my greatest fear that I would not see myself get old now that I had begun to realize that I might continue to live after having done it for quite some time by then.

So there I was, falling apart at the seams, what was I to do? At long last I was delivered from my alcoholism. Two miserable years past and I learned how to live better than ever. Life was starting to look like it actually held promise. I continued to be sick even though I had not touched a drink, drug or cigarette in more than two years. Now what? How could I salvage what was left of my health and my life?

I had been watching documentaries about people who had changed their diets and exercise regimens in order to get their health back. For more than two years I had been studying what people had done to get healthy and yet I was aging quickly and hurting from all the years of drinking and smoking but didn't know what I should do.

Finally, I decided that I wasn’t going to go down like that, without having had a life to speak of up to then. These were my beliefs. I designed a diet for myself, a lifestyle change type of a diet that I could go into my new life with. I now believed that I could have a new start. If I could get my health in check, I could have another chance.

After altering my diet and exercising a little bit, I felt much better and began to see that my aging appeared to slow, although I was now much interested in the aging process. After all, I had believed I was ready to die as a young teenager and now it seemed that I might live to be an old woman. I have been taking every course I can to learn more about food, diet, aging and health. I have a better quality of life. Something to Tweet about.

This is a photo of a cloud that is shaped like a hand is underneath the sun with an arm then a head and part of another arm. **Photo by Lisa L'Heureux

_________________________________________________________________________
While you are here,

Lisa L'Heureux is the author of 7 books. Her work includes the Lisa's Sober Blog SeriesThis and the Man in the Moon and This One is About Domestic Violence. She lives with her family in Alberta, Canada.

More than six years ago, Lisa retired from practicing alcoholism.

. . . . .


**Buy the Lisa's Sober Blog Books Gift Pack
        
        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Age-ist

I ask my friend if she thinks we're old. I'm six months older than she is. She didn't answer the question. But if a guy I like f...